Tourist Attractions in Adelaide, Amatola & Stormberg, Eastern Cape

Tourist Attractions near Adelaide, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Molweni Game Reserve, Adelaide

courtesy of sjsparky Panomario
Molweni Game Reserve, Eastern Cape

courtesy of sjsparky Panomario
Main Road, Adelaide

courtesy of CageRattler Panomario

Photos provided by Panoramio. Photos are under the copyright of their owners.
Road Map of Adelaide
Viewing Attractions


Loading Map...

The small town of Adelaide lies on the R73 between Bedford and Fort Beaufort, and nestles in the foothills of the majestic Winterberg Mountain range in the heart of the Eastern Cape Midlands.

The history of Adelaide is reflected in a number of historic homes, graceful churches and monuments while the large square with its trees, gardens and the municipal offices, makes a fine centre piece to the town. The town museum, once the parsonage of the Dutch Reformed Church, is a fine example of a two story colonial era house. It is a national monument and has been finished in period style. It houses collections of textiles and clothes, glass, porcelain, Wedgwood and silver.

In an attempt to stabilize the border, the British introduced settlers into the region in the 1820s, and in 1834, a Captain Armstrong established a large military encampment in the area, which he named Fort Adelaide after the wife of King William IV. Many Scottish settlers established themselves in the Adelaide area, especially in the Mankanzana River valley. It was they who erected the first church in the district, at Glen Thorn. In recent years Adelaide has prospered and has become a prime beef, mutton, wool and citrus farming area.

Things To Do in Adelaide
Adelaide Attractions
Adelaide Golf Club: less than 5 km
Adelaide Museum: less than 5 km


The small town of Adelaide lies on the R73 between Bedford and Fort Beaufort, and nestles in the foothills of the majestic Winterberg Mountain range in the heart of the Eastern Cape Midlands.

The history of Adelaide is reflected in a number of historic homes, graceful churches and monuments while the large square with its trees, gardens and the municipal offices, makes a fine centre piece to the town. The town museum, once the parsonage of the Dutch Reformed Church, is a fine example of a two story colonial era house. It is a national monument and has been finished in period style. It houses collections of textiles and clothes, glass, porcelain, Wedgwood and silver.

In an attempt to stabilize the border, the British introduced settlers into the region in the 1820s, and in 1834, a Captain Armstrong established a large military encampment in the area, which he named Fort Adelaide after the wife of King William IV. Many Scottish settlers established themselves in the Adelaide area, especially in the Mankanzana River valley. It was they who erected the first church in the district, at Glen Thorn. In recent years Adelaide has prospered and has become a prime beef, mutton, wool and citrus farming area.