Photos provided by Panoramio. Photos are under the copyright of their owners.
|Road Map of Chrissiesmeer
|Viewing Attractions |
|Things To Do in Chrissiesmeer|
| Chrissiesmeer Frog Hunt: 5 km|
Wildflower Walks: 10 km
Chrissiesmeer (Lake Chrissie) is a small historic town which is situated in
the heart of South Africa's lake district, it is a place of lakes and legends.
There are something like 270 lakes and pans within a 20km radius of
Chrissiesmeer. The largest lake, Lake Chrissie was named after President M. W.
Pretorius's talented daughter Christina.
Chrissiesmeer has become a central point for a great many outdoor activities,
things to do in the area include:
- 4x4 Route Holnek Reserve - Lies on the Escarpment, having spectacular
sceneries and offers a vast variety of activities for the nature
- Bird watching - Best time for bird watching is from September to March,
Self-help tours or Biding guides are offered.
- Canoeing - Bring your own canoe, windsurfer, cat or any other rowing
gear for Lake Chrissie. No motor boats allowed.
- Fishing - Both dams and the rivers allow trout fishing.
- Fly in - To see Chrisiesmeer from the air with 270 pans and lakes in a
15km radius, it is a beauty to be discovered.
- Giant footprint - A giant footprint imprinted in the rock which has been
a great interest to travellers.
- Hunting - Hunting with Lloyd Safaris , a family owned business run by
Charles Lloyd who is a licensed outfitter and professional hunter
- Picnic at McCorkindale's Cave - Lapa at McCorkindales's Cave have braai
facilities that look out over the lake.
- Wild Flowers - Guests can be taken on a wildflower walk or drive any
time of the year during the flower season.
There are a number of sites of historic interest in the area, notably the
Dumbarton Oaks Hotel built in the late 1800s, and Billiard Cottage, which was
transported by ox wagon all the way from Bloemfontein and served as a recreation
mess for British soldiers in the 2nd Anglo-Boer War. There is some San rock art
on the farm Welgelegen and in various sheltered places around Chrissiesmeer. The
hundreds of lakes and pans in the Chrissiesmeer area are home to both the
greater and lesser species of flamingo.
Accommodation that can be found in Chrissiesmeer are: Bed & Breakfast/ Guest
House/ Guest Lodge and Self Catering Cottage/ House/ Bungalow.